[Seaside] Why do I have to use #children here?

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 07:48:20 UTC 2008

Hi Sebastian,

Yes... this is not very clear. There is a functional test in Seaside
2.9 that illustrates this (WADecorationTest).

Basically the problem is, that you are usually expected to create a
new instance of a component when you call it. If you actually need to
create the component and hold onto it with an instance variable (as
you would when embedding), then you need to somehow make sure it has
#updateStates: called on it.

To do this, you can either implement #children, or implement
#updateStates: and call "otherPanel visiblePresentersDo: [ :each |
each updateStates: aSnapshot ]". Which is cleaner is, I guess, a
matter of debate. I was actually looking at this in 2.9 just yesterday
and filed this issue:
http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=219 so hopefully we
can get some comments from other developers.

Hope that helps a bit...

Julian