[Seaside] Seaside 2.8a1-lr.518 - VW7.6 27 - weird thing happening

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 09:51:00 UTC 2008

2008/9/1 Claus Kick <claus_kick at web.de>:
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>> Looks, interesting, like something in the backtracking mechanism is
>> broken. Are all applications broken? Can you post a are detailed stack
>> trace, eg. open a debugger?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Philippe
>
> Hello Philippe,
>
> sorry, forgot about the debugger, my bad.
>
> - the Dispatcher still works
> - I can still open config , but configuring anything yields a walkback
>
> At first I figured my own application was configured the wrong way, so I
> tried to remove it, but this does not work either (i.e. returns a walkback).

Removing returns a walkback?

> - my own app crashes (ok, very likely that I have an error in there, but
> still get about the same - to me mystic -  walkback which does not include
> anything from my code)

Can you describe crash a little bit more in detail.

> - tests breaks
> - tools breaks
> - examples also breaks

What do you mean with break?

> I have not modified anything in the base image, I have loaded most of the
> development tools and some of the graphics stuff, but thats it.
>
> The walkbacks differ, but I also get a walkback for trying to open a
> debugger (everywhere I tried which should be about everywhere).
>
> In order to show this I choose the examples configuration:
>

> There are two questions there I think:
>
> 1. What is the reason for this happening?

I don't have enough information to answer this. The stack traces are
not very useful. Squeak has a method #errorReportOn: that returns a
useful stack trace, I'm sure VW has something similar.

> 2. How can I get out of this mess again? Of course, I dont have any real
> backup of the image (shame on me, should have known better), as I figured
> nothing of what I am doing is even remotely disturbing the inner workings of
> the image.

Can't you commit your code, then build a new image and load your code again?

Cheers
Philippe