[Seaside] Seaside 2.8a1-lr.518 - VW7.6 27 - weird thing happening

Claus Kick claus_kick at web.de
Tue Sep 2 15:26:50 UTC 2008

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2008/9/1 Claus Kick <claus_kick at web.de>:
>
>>Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>>>Looks, interesting, like something in the backtracking mechanism is
>>>broken. Are all applications broken? Can you post a are detailed stack
>>>trace, eg. open a debugger?
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Philippe
>>
>>Hello Philippe,
>>
>>sorry, forgot about the debugger, my bad.
>>
>>- the Dispatcher still works
>>- I can still open config , but configuring anything yields a walkback
>>
>>At first I figured my own application was configured the wrong way, so I
>>tried to remove it, but this does not work either (i.e. returns a walkback).
>

> Removing returns a walkback?

Yes it does as  follows:

Possible Causes

     * you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand

Stack Trace

    1.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       aMessage
           a Message with selector: #restore: and arguments: #(a
Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false)
       excpt
           a MessageNotUnderstood
       resumeValue
           nil

    2.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFrom:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       aMemento
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

    3.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>restoreFromSnapshot:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       anObject
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

    4.

       thisContext
           optimized [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       self
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false
       value
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

    5.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WASnapshot(IdentityDictionary)>>keysAndValuesDo:
       self
           Seaside.WASnapshot (a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents:
false->a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false...etc...
       aBlock
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
           3
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: false

>>- my own app crashes (ok, very likely that I have an error in there, but
>>still get about the same - to me mystic -  walkback which does not include
>>anything from my code)
>

> Can you describe crash a little bit more in detail.

Well, I get a similar looking walkback, that is:

Possible Causes

     * you sent a message this type of object doesn't understand

Stack Trace

    1.

       thisContext
           Seaside.WAValueHolder(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
       self
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame
       aMessage
           a Message with selector: #restore: and arguments: #(a
Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame)...etc...
[...]

           Seaside.WASnapshot (a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a
Seaside.WAToolFrame->a Seaside.WAValueHolder...etc...
       aBlock
           BlockClosure [] in Seaside.WASnapshot>>restore
           2
       key
           a Seaside.WAValueHolder contents: a Seaside.WAToolFrame

>>- tests breaks
>>- tools breaks
>>- examples also breaks
>

> What do you mean with break?

Walkbacks, similar to the two mentioned above.

>>I have not modified anything in the base image, I have loaded most of the
>>development tools and some of the graphics stuff, but thats it.
>>
>>The walkbacks differ, but I also get a walkback for trying to open a
>>debugger (everywhere I tried which should be about everywhere).
>>
>>In order to show this I choose the examples configuration:
>>

>>There are two questions there I think:
>>
>>1. What is the reason for this happening?
>

> I don't have enough information to answer this. The stack traces are
> not very useful. Squeak has a method #errorReportOn: that returns a
> useful stack trace, I'm sure VW has something similar.

I will look into this, perhaps something more useful turns up.

>>2. How can I get out of this mess again? Of course, I dont have any real
>>backup of the image (shame on me, should have known better), as I figured
>>nothing of what I am doing is even remotely disturbing the inner workings of
>>the image.
>

> Can't you commit your code, then build a new image and load your code again?

I will probably have to do something like that, yes. *Shudders*