[Seaside] A little HowTo

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Apr 1 21:53:16 UTC 2009

The typical notation for class methods in tools/text/newsgroups is using
"class" to distinguish it from an instance method. So it would be
better to write:

WhateverRoot class>>canBeRoot
	^true

So Foo class>>bar means the class side method and Foo>>bar the
instance method. Thats also how it is displayed in Senders/implementors
reference tools (not in Squeak, but in Pharo similar to other Smalltalks).

Also note that this tutorial only works in Seaside 2.8. I would make
that clear when people read it later and try it out.

In the newer Seaside 2.9 (which is available as alpha version on http://builder.seaside.st) the #registerAsApplication: is deprecated.

There you would write:

  MyRootComponent(class)>>initialize
	WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: 'foo'

Its also common practice not to call "super initialize" in class
side #initialize methods.

But thanks for your effort. I'm sure it will help others getting
into Seaside.

Bye
Torsten