[Seaside] Anybody see this?

Eagle Offshore eagleoffshore at mac.com
Wed Apr 8 17:31:55 UTC 2009

Its funny but I'm hearing seasiders dismiss this technology using many
of the same arguments that non-seasiders use to dismiss seaside.  You
sound exactly the same as your detractors.

There are multiple backends for capuccino - including php.  PHP scales
like crazy.  Not worried.  It is not hard to imagine writing a single
data access handler to bridge database requests and forgetting about
it.  There's a nice little minimal ActiveRecord for PHP I just used on
a prototype that kicks any database access technology I've used in
Squeak in simplicity, usability, and speed.

They've essentially implemented Cocoa in Javascript (Capuccino) and a
commercial product using that (http://280slides.com/), and now they're
using that to implement Interface Builder and XCode.  They say it
works in all common browsers identically including IE6.

To me it looks very "turtles all the way down" but abstracts away the
whole web trash heap.  For applications, not websites.  I see a lot in
common with lively kernel.  SproutCore looks nice but it is very much
a web technology.

As to the comment about the complex part of applications not being the
interface - on web apps I spend 95% of my time tweaking UI - fiddling
CSS rules usually or typing endless nestings of builder methods to
generate taggage to implement simple things.  UI is all I do on the web.

Anyhow, their demo is better than any gui builder that has appeared
for squeak - morphic or web.

I'm not here to trash seaside - I think it rocks.  But I find the
render/canvas extremely tiresome to work with because at the end of
the day its still building web noise and I think lively kernel/ html5
canvas and cappucino/atlas are hinting at a major shift and some deep
thinking and reexamination is in order.  That's my point.

-Todd Blanchard