[Seaside] Seasidehosting hanging problem

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Sun Apr 12 02:47:46 UTC 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 11:53 AM, James Foster wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:
>
>> What are the requirements for hosting seaside?
>>
>> Is it likely that I could host my own seaside service on my shared
>> hosting account (on Joyent)?  Or possibly on Aptana, the new Joyent
>> webapp partner?
>>
>>   -- Owen
>
> See http://programminggems.wordpress.com/directory/ for a series of
> instructions (with screencasts) showing how to set up Seaside (in
> GemStone) on SliceHost.
>
> James

Thanks James.

OK, this solution basically is at the Dedicated Hosting end of the
spectrum: you basically get a virtual computer in the cloud.  Amazon
EC2 style, say.  The good news you can do everything.  The bad news is
that you have to!  All the good/bad/ugly of root.

But simpler Shared Hosting is at the other end of the spectrum: They
give you a set of services (LAMP basically) and some easily
installable and updatable content management systems (Blogs, Forums,
Wikis, CVS/SVN/GIT, and so on) .. and naturally email.  They include
ssh and install-it-yourself capabilities as long as you don't have to
be root.  Joyent's shared is a good example.

New specialized hosting, for web apps, are appearing too: Google App
Engine and Joyent's Aptana partnership.  Extremely programmer
friendly.  And Google has just introduced Java into the offering.
Slice host is a root sorta critter and I think is more at the
Dedicated end.

So what I'd be interested in is seaside hosted in the easier end:
either on a webapp provider like GAE and Aptana, or a Shared provider.

The coolest solution for me would be a seaside using the JVM rather
than the usual smalltalk VM. This would potentially get seaside on
GAE.  That would rock!

     -- Owen