[Seaside] A new critical blog discussing Seaside - now concrete proposals

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Sat Apr 18 09:56:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM,  <TheSmalltalkBlog at gmx.ch> wrote:
> I have added some first concrete proposals to my new critical blog on Seaside: http://thesmalltalkblog.blogspot.com
>
> May I also propose to get away from these personal and emotional discussions here and to advance to some proper work. I have started with my proposals on my blog.

Great.  Let's look at them.

The first post I come to is "Proposal 3: Stick to Smalltalk naming conventions".

Some excerpts:

"One of the most commonly used and undisputed convention says that a
factory method, which creates a new instance, should start with the
word "new".

This common convention is consistently ignored in Seaside!

This is very very bad style! Absolutely amateurish and far away from
"engineering"!

<snip>

Why the hell can't you adhere to what the great majority of
Smalltalkers has been successfully doing for more than 25 years?!

Therefore, I strongly urge you to finally adhere to what is commonly
regarded as Smalltalk convention! You are definitely not any cleverer
or better than the forefathers of Smalltalk at PARC (and, of course,
neither am I)! You are most likely some bright but rather young guys
with little experience. "

Gee.  I better go and look at some of those 25 year old classes to see
what conventions, in fact, the forefathers at PARC were using.  Let's
look in Squeak, which is the closest modern equivalent to the original
Smalltalks.

Point's factory method is #x:y: .  No "new" there.  Amateurish, I
guess.  But maybe it's an isolated case.

How about Association?  I see #key:value:.  Still no "new"; I guess
the forefathers were having an off day.

Here's one on Fraction: #numerator:denominator:.  The initials on that
one look familiar: "di".  Never mind, though, Dan Ingalls is probably
some bright young guy with little experience.  Maybe you should set
him straight?

Avi