[Seaside] A new critical blog discussing Seaside - Comment my blog

Sebastian Heidbrink sebastian_heidbrink at yahoo.de
Sat Apr 18 12:44:06 UTC 2009

Hi "Smalltalkers"!

I can well remember Stephane Ducasse's closing words on last ESUG , when
he said, that time is come for all Smalltalk users and companies to
throw all there knowledge and efforts together to achieve the same aim,
making Smalltalk more public and modern again.

A lot of smalltalk using companies suffer the same problems. On the
costumer side it's hard to sell such an "old" programming language with
outdated UI, large lack of advertisement and sometimes outdated non
fancy UI implementation support. And on the other side the very hard
task to find and get young already skilled Smalltalk developers.

I have the impression that some guys need to be brought back down on earth.
Seaside is a Open Source project which is squeak based. If I would blame
the Seaside development team for working inacurate, regarding coding
conventions, I could blame a lot of Squeak-Based projects on that. Some
things like instance variable accessing is typically done without
accessor- and getter-methods within Squeak. I don't like that too, but
to be honest, I don't have the time to offer a overworked version to the
coreteam. I guess I'm not the only one here...
It's definetly true that Seaside is one of the most interesting projects
in the Smalltalk market right now, giving companies the chance to offer
something new and up-to-date.
But I also think it's merely impossible to develop a smalltalk project
in squeak with the abillity to fullfill all advantages of the ported
target systems, like VW, VASmalltalk, Gemstone and Dolphin...
It's the business of Cincom, Instantiations, Gemstone, ObjectArts and
projects using Seaside for many years now, to support and influence and
support actual Seaside development in squeak to assure the usability and
optimization of Seaside Core.

You can't offer the world a kind of combination of domestic animal that
produces eggs, wool, milk and can be grilled, or as we say in Germany
"eine Eierlegendewollmilchsau" and additional to that: "for free".
Seaside is not a completed proprietary product, but everybody expects a
robust in changes and optimal basis for writing a new next gerneration
15 years lasting  Webapplication framework for the own product family.
Seaside is a sparetime project and it's a democratic project. Everybody
can join the Coreteam and can expend time to push it forward.

Well, I'm happy for everyone beeing able to get some money out of Seaside.
And I' m sure the whole Smalltalk community would be glad about more
Seasiders and Seaside-Profiteers helping Smalltalk to become more
interessing to newcomers again and support others to get a hand on Seaside.
Blogs like onsmalltalk.com for example, are worther than comments in
alternating alpha release classes.

Thank's to everyone presenting, writing tutorials, books, blogs and
thanks to the coreteam for the help and advice you gave to me past month!
Thanks Cucumber for speaking out load what you think. There are several
point's I often have in mind reading over "Squeak-Code", but some points
might be hard to be solved just because nobody knows, where the Seaside
is heading to.
The actual effords in seperating plattformdependent coding from
seasidecoding is an improvement I really appreciate.  It clearly shows
that these guys are willing to give a larger community an access to
Seaside. I could imagine that this is a lot harder than just staying in
Squeak.
Profit in mind or not, I don't care. They deserve it.

[|]
Sebastian