[Seaside] A new critical blog discussing Seaside - @Michael Lucas-Smith

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Sat Apr 18 17:52:30 UTC 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 7:42 PM, TheSmalltalkBlog at gmx.ch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> and thank you for one of the few constructive discussion points to
> my proposals.
>
> You brought up some good and serious arguments - although I
> absolutely disagree to your view of these things.
>
> But I agree with you that this instVar direct usage subject very
> much depends on:
>> personal development style, opinion and likes/dislikes
>
> But here I am on the other side of the river. I find accesors much
> cleaner. And I see a lot of advanges in them, f.e. when one changes
> the implementation (Dicts, Colls etc) or when one wants to intercept
> changes to instVar values. This is often a pain with direct instVar
> usage.

no you use the refactoring browser + click on abstract and you get
your accessor and hack with it.
In two clicks you can get a lazzy initialization scheme running.

> Nevertheless, this was just one less important of many arguments
> that I brought up against current Seaside. You did not mention the
> usage of instVars outside their classes (like in my "fields" example
> in my WARequest posting) nor the spreading of implementation details
> over foreign classes.  Nor did you mention my other subjects,
> perhaps because you would have to agree?

No we do not discuss topics that are not friendly presented in the list.
Since your blog is far from polite and nearly insulting we will not
comment on your ideas.
Now post them in a friendly way and you will probably get an answer:
look at the way philippe
replied to my question -- and philippe is more a butcher than lukas
(believe me :)).

> I understand that it would be hard for you to agree with somebody
> who has been so unconventionally open and verbally aggressive like
> me. But I felt some people here were asking for exactly this.

No Mr Cucumber as michael said there is a difference between being
rude for nothing and being polite and just being politically correct.
We are in a politically arena here just a friendly one where people
often drink beers together at events or share code
and hope to meet one day.