[Seaside] unused methods

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Mon Apr 20 08:20:41 UTC 2009

Julian Fitzell wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Frank Shearar
> <frank.shearar at angband.za.org> wrote:
>
>> How difficult would it be to move these unused methods to a new package -
>> Seaside-Cruft say - instead of outright deleting them?
>>

> My point is that we try to find a balance so that we don't have to
> delete methods. If we add too much stuff that essentially nobody uses,
> it's a pain to delete later because "essentially" does not equal
> "literally". I'd rather just guess conservatively and wait and see
> what people think is missing before adding them in the first place.

Yes, I understand. "But Seaside used to do Foo!" I thought that one
could almost have one's cake and eat it, and it looks like Keith's
saying that that's exactly what he's doing.

> When we do decide we need to remove methods, we usually deprecate them
> so they will signal notifications but continue to work for some period
> of time. If somebody wants to provide a separate package with methods
> that are no longer even deprecated, that's certainly fine but as
> Randal says, it's a bit a maintenance problem for us to do so.

Yes. One can well see the fallout when someone uses a "cruft method"
that belonged to an older version that no longer works... and then
Seaside gets blamed, for moving on.

frank