[Seaside] Re: Why isn't this a weak dictionary of some ilk?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:47:49 UTC 2009

> Lukas, all these topics is about a weak array finalization process,
> which is just made for a convenience and on top of  the fact, that VM
> supports weak references.

I understand that. And I remember that the suggestion was to implement
our own finalization code. The reasons why we didn't do so were the
following:

- It was pretty easy to get rid of the requirement for weak data
structures. The wasted memory was not significant enough to make it
worth worrying about a special solution.

- Introducing custom finalization code is highly non-portable across.
At the time of Seaside 2.7 and 2.8, there were no easy possibilities
to factor such code out.

- Last but not least, I might be wrong on this, we had the impression
that this was a Squeak only problem. I've never heard of similar
problems with other Smalltalk. The finalization of session state just
works out of the box.

Maybe the real root of the problem is not even the weak finalization,
but the way Squeak handles and rehashes large Dictionaries?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch