[Seaside] Re: Why isn't this a weak dictionary of some ilk?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Apr 23 02:31:06 UTC 2009

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> Lukas, all these topics is about a weak array finalization process,
>> which is just made for a convenience and on top of  the fact, that VM
>> supports weak references.
>
> I understand that. And I remember that the suggestion was to implement
> our own finalization code. The reasons why we didn't do so were the
> following:

The reasoning makes sense to me. I have one question though: Do you
actually require finalization or is this "just" for caching? If the
latter, I think there is a good chance of devising an alternative
solution that clears out weak dicts as you go, only touching  the slots
that you would touch in a normal insertion/removal process. This could
solve the caching problems but it wouldn't work if you expect this to
work for finalization since even a full GC wouldn't necessarily cause
the entries to be cleared if they aren't touched otherwise. Would this
be a useful tradeoff for your usage patterns or completely pointless?

Cheers,
   - Andreas