[Seaside] Re: Headless on Mac OS X

Aaron Rosenzweig aaron at cocoanutstech.com
Sun Aug 2 14:23:29 UTC 2009

Stop the presses! I got it working :-)

Sorry for cross posting. I'll write it up in more detail later, on my
own Pier installation even! But here's the rough notes at the moment:

1) I'm on Mac OS 10.4 Tiger on Intel
2) I downloaded the Pier 1.2 one-click install from www.piercms.com
that is running on Pharo VM I believe
3) I enabled LSBackgroundOnly = true in the "info.plist" file inside
the .app bundle resources - The purpose of this is to not let the app
startup in the dock... I had somehow missed this before because my
dock is normally hidden.
4) Needed to use "-headless" option as that is the only one that
works with this vm. The -vm-display-null option does not work.

Here's the command I use to load into launchd:

sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.squeak.seaside.plist

(That also shows the path to where I put the custom plist file in for

Below is the contents of the launchd plist file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
<plist version="1.0">
VM Opt</string>

Again, I'll write more later, and clarify once I get Pier set up on
the desired server Mac.

Thanks everyone,
-- Aaron