[Seaside] Seaside + JQuery example page on port 9090?

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 00:25:27 UTC 2009

El jue, 06-08-2009 a las 20:10 -0400, Dave Bauer escribió:

> > Boris> I agree. In fact many personal firewall products also block uncommon
> > Boris> ports such as this one and only leave things like 80, 443, 25 etc by
> > Boris> default.
> >
> > That's completely nuts.
> >
> > There's nothing more "dangerous" at port 9090 than at port 80.
> >
> > Anyone who constructs such a firewall is hopelessly naive, and if
> > you're using such a product, turn it off, and demand a refund.
> >

> That is totally besides the point. Unfortunately the Seaside community
> regularly tries to scare away those interested in the product by
> giving unhelpful advice.

If I am developing web applications and am not capable of configure or
find the cause of my net issues I have a deeper problem that I think and
it is not fault on the Seaside community.

> Everyone expects publically available web sites to be on port 80.
> Anyone who is trying to market a web site product should understand
> that people will expect stuff to be available on port 80, and also
> understand the technique to make it available that way.

First, the "everyone" your are refering not even know what a port is.
they just write a url on the browser or better, go to google, find
something and click on a link. NO ports in the process.
Second, the fact that an webapps runs in a specific port doesn't says
nothing about the quality of the product. Rails runs on port 3000,
Tomcat in 8180. That is just a simple random port.
When you buy a domain, put your server in production then you can omit
the port by running on a standard port (80 for http) but even so, if you
are on unix/mac you can't run a server on a port below 1024 so you must
use Apache/Lighttpd to listen on 80 and proxy to the other port (3000,
8180, 8080, 9090, etc). To the user the service is running on "port 80"
but actually isn't.
So don't blame the comunnity, they are trying to help but not resolve
*all* your problems. At the end, everyone must do their homework.

Miguel Cobá