[Seaside] WAUrlEncoder

Karsten karsten at heeg.de
Fri Feb 6 14:46:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

today I had a problem with non-ascii characters in the URL. The reason
for this problem seemed to be that URLs are encoded in a different way
as they are decoded. Encoding is done with WAUrlEncoder and decoding is
done with URLEncoder (at least on VisualWorks). The URLEncoder uses UTF8
to encode/decode URLs, but the WAUrlEncoder stores characters bytewise
with %. So if you encode 'ü' (252 as Integer) with WAUrlEncoder you get
'%FC', while the URLEncoder produces '%C3%BC'.

If the URLEncoder is also used for encoding everything works fine and
even the browser shows the characters properly in the address bar. I'm
not sure if that's just a problem of the VW port, but still I don't
understand why the WAUrlEncoder doesn't encode with UTF8, even though
that's recommented in the rfc (at least that's what Wikipedia said ;-) ).

Kind Regards
Karsten

Karsten Kusche - Dipl.Inf. - karsten at heeg.de
Tel: +49 3496 21 43 29
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund A 12812