[Seaside] Re: [CONFUSED]: WAKom, WAKomEncoded or WAKomEncoded 3.9

Udo Schneider Udo.Schneider at homeaddress.de
Wed Feb 11 10:50:15 UTC 2009


thnanks for your detailed explanation.

> WAKom does no conversion at all. So if you assume that the browser
> side uses UTF-8 then you end up with UTF-8 strings inside your image.
> need to make sure that these are valid UTF-8 as well. This is very
> efficient, but you need to be aware of the implications.
This was the effect I was seeing before. I didn't care about it because 
I thought that as long as the stuff that gets in gets out is fine. 
However I learned my lesson with Safari/Mac/Euro sign which screwed up 

> WAKomEncoded converts incoming data from UTF-8 to the internal
> encoding of Squeak, as well it converts outgoing data from the
> internal encoding to UTF-8. Like this, all strings are valid from
> within the image, and common string operations like #=, #size and
> #copyFrom:to: work like you would expect. If you use an external
> database that expects UTF-8 you need to convert again.
The current DB backend is Magma - so I assume I can ignore UTF-8 
conversion for the DB for quite some time :-)

> WAKomEncoded39 is for compatibility with strange versions of Kom and
> Squeak. You should not need to use it.
Good to hear. I'm currently running the tests against WAEncodedKom and 
everything looks great.

Thank you very much for your help.



More information about the seaside mailing list