[Seaside] Re: [CONFUSED]: WAKom, WAKomEncoded or WAKomEncoded 3.9

Udo Schneider Udo.Schneider at homeaddress.de
Wed Feb 11 10:50:15 UTC 2009

Lukas,

thnanks for your detailed explanation.

> WAKom does no conversion at all. So if you assume that the browser
> side uses UTF-8 then you end up with UTF-8 strings inside your image.
[...]
> need to make sure that these are valid UTF-8 as well. This is very
> efficient, but you need to be aware of the implications.
This was the effect I was seeing before. I didn't care about it because
I thought that as long as the stuff that gets in gets out is fine.
However I learned my lesson with Safari/Mac/Euro sign which screwed up
everything.

> WAKomEncoded converts incoming data from UTF-8 to the internal
> encoding of Squeak, as well it converts outgoing data from the
> internal encoding to UTF-8. Like this, all strings are valid from
> within the image, and common string operations like #=, #size and
> #copyFrom:to: work like you would expect. If you use an external
> database that expects UTF-8 you need to convert again.
The current DB backend is Magma - so I assume I can ignore UTF-8
conversion for the DB for quite some time :-)

> WAKomEncoded39 is for compatibility with strange versions of Kom and
> Squeak. You should not need to use it.
Good to hear. I'm currently running the tests against WAEncodedKom and
everything looks great.

Thank you very much for your help.

CU,

Udo