[Seaside] Porting

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Feb 17 15:41:43 UTC 2009

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> What's required to port seaside to a new Smalltalk dialect? I mean, in
>> terms of webserver (I know about continuations).
>
> You need to write an adapter that converts requests to WARequest
> instances and WAResponse instances to whatever responses you require.

In fact, my guess is that the *simplest* way to get Seaside running on
another Smalltalk might be to port Blackfoot, my SimpleCGI/SCGI
implementation available on SM. It is very small and even though it is
not yet fully tested, it does work, modulo special cases - for example,
haven't tested file uploads yet etc.

Blackfoot has been tested with Cherokee and a modified/fixed Nginx.
Should work with Apache or Lighttpd with SCGI too I guess.

[SNIP]
>> I also know that Seaside can be plugged to a number of different
>> Smalltalk web servers, what's this list?
>
> That depends on the platform. On Squeak this is Kom, Swazoo, FastCGI
> and probably a few others, but these are the ones that I know.

...and Blackfoot. :)

regards, Göran