[Seaside] Single or multiple instances of application top-level class?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 20:19:05 UTC 2009

2009/1/1, Richard E. Flower <rickf at ca-flower.com>:
> On Jan 1, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>> 2009/1/1, Richard E. Flower <rickf at ca-flower.com>:
>>> Up to now, I've been assuming that the top-level application class
>>> had
>>> its own instance per connection.. Is my assumption correct or is this
>>> a singleton class?
>>
>> Assuming we're talking about WAApplication it is one instance per URL.
>> This instance in concurrently accessed.
>
> Thanks for the reply.. Just a few more questions.. I went and checked
> my main top-level class and its
> derived from WAComponent and not WAApplication.. This code was
> originally developed in Seaside
> 2.5 and moved forward to version 2.8 now.. Should I instead be using
> WAApplication?

Depends on what your problem is. However there rarely should be any
need write your own WAApplication class.

> Also, when you mention one instance per URL, can I equate that to be
> one per Seaside application

Yes, WAApplication is the seaside application you find at a particular
URL. There is only one for a given URL.

> or can it be associated with connections?  Your wording above sounds
> like its one per Seaside application,
> but I wanted to double-check.. Currently my code assumes its one
> instance per connection and has
> a 'content' object.. I want to ensure that IF this is a singleton then

There are only very few singletons in Seaside (because they suck) and
they don't include WAApplication or WAComponent. The root component
class is instantiated when a new session is created and bound to this
session. From there other instances of WAComponent are created on
demand and bound to the root component instance.

Cheers
Philippe