[Seaside] Beginners guide to 2.9

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 19:57:54 UTC 2009

2009/7/9 Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:
> I am looking at how to set up a swazoo adapter, is there a beginners
> guide I am missing?

You're not, there isn't directly. There are two ways, the easy way and
the hard way.

The easy way (if it works):
Get a load script with Swazoo from http://builder.seaside.st/. That's
a bit outdated and will not work in the latest closure images. Yeah,
we should do an alpha 4.

The hard way:
- get Swazoo 2.2 http://builder.seaside.st/
- get Seaside-Swazoo http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside29LGPL/
- get Seaside-Adaptors-Swazoo http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside29/

Starting and stopping is now uniform with Kom, either through the
server manager UI or with:

WASwazooAdaptor startOn: 8888

Personally I'm really happy with the new server infrastructure that we
have in Seaside 2.9 that makes it easier to maintain the Swazoo
adapter with a comparable feature set as the Kom adapter. Currently
the only thing the Swazoo adapter misses compared to Kom is streaming,
which is a limitation of the adapter and not Swazoo.

> Perhaps a class comment describing how to set the port and start.

We accept any help. Documentation is one part that holds us back from
a release. An other is that we need more testers and confidence. Which
is kinda hard if documentation is not there.

Cheers
Philippe