[Seaside] Beginners guide to 2.9

Conrad Taylor conradwt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 02:44:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Philippe Marschall <
philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/9 Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:
> > I am looking at how to set up a swazoo adapter, is there a beginners
> > guide I am missing?
>
> You're not, there isn't directly. There are two ways, the easy way and
> the hard way.
>
> The easy way (if it works):
> Get a load script with Swazoo from http://builder.seaside.st/. That's
> a bit outdated and will not work in the latest closure images. Yeah,
> we should do an alpha 4.
>
> The hard way:
> - get Swazoo 2.2 http://builder.seaside.st/
> - get Seaside-Swazoo http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside29LGPL/
> - get Seaside-Adaptors-Swazoo http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside29/
>
> Starting and stopping is now uniform with Kom, either through the
> server manager UI or with:
>
> WASwazooAdaptor startOn: 8888
>
> Personally I'm really happy with the new server infrastructure that we
> have in Seaside 2.9 that makes it easier to maintain the Swazoo
> adapter with a comparable feature set as the Kom adapter. Currently
> the only thing the Swazoo adapter misses compared to Kom is streaming,
> which is a limitation of the adapter and not Swazoo.

This is very good especially for others that are planning to write their own
servers
in the future.  It might be possible to create an abstract interface which
represents
these common pieces of functionality.  Then new server adapters plus any
additions
can be easier to develop.  This might be the case now but I haven't looked
at the
code.

-Conrad