[Seaside] How to start an image with PORT parameter

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 21:26:38 UTC 2009

El dom, 26-07-2009 a las 14:15 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz escribió:

> Miguel> miguel at laptop:~$ kill -9 `cat evince.pid `
>
> No no no.  Don't use kill -9.
>
> It doesn't give the process a chance to cleanly:
>
> 1) release IPC resources (shared memory, semaphores, message queues)
>
> 2) clean up temp files
>
> 3) inform its children that it is going away
>
> 4) reset its terminal characteristics
>
> and so on and so on and so on.
>
> Generally, send 15 (SIGTERM), and wait a second or two, and if that
> doesn't work, send 2 (SIGINT), and if that doesn't work, send 1
> (SIGHUP).  If that doesn't, REMOVE THE BINARY because the program is
> badly behaved!
>
> Don't use kill -9.  Don't bring out the combine harvester just to tidy
> up the flower pot.

He he, yes I know that it is overkill, I was just showing the process
and didn't think much about the implicit consecuences of the precise
command. Even more on unattended servers. Sometimes, you just want to
get rid of a process no matter what, but I agree with you. So Mariano,
listen to Randal.

Cheers,
Miguel Cobá