[Seaside] How to put an app into deployment mode

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 16:19:05 UTC 2009

2009/6/4 Cornelius Brümmer <dave at corcor.de>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm totally on Pharo and Seaside 2.9 and it works like a charm for my
> needs. I built a little management application that works behind a
> cherokee webserver.
>
> But now I wanted to get rid of the deployment mode and I can't find a
> way to do it.

There isn't really a good equivalent in 2.9 yet... one of the reasons
it's still called an alpha. :)

If you want to remove applications, just delete them with the web
configuration UI. You can delete whole groups of them by deleting the
dispatcher that contains them. Note that you can also now run multiple
server adaptors on different ports so that you could leave the config
UI, for example, on a more heavily firewalled port and have only your
deployed application on the other.

At that point, it's even possible that you don't need a dispatcher at
all. For example, you ought to be able to just register the
application as the root handler like so:

(WAKom port: 8081)
   requestHandler: (MyApplication new);
   start

You could also use "WAKom default" or "WAServerManager instance
adaptors detect: [ :ea | ... ]" to change the request handler on the
existing instance. And note that there is an OmniBrowser based control
panel which should be registered in the World menu, which will help
you figure out what adaptors are currently running.

> In my root-WAComponent I do:
>  WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: self entryPointName.
> to register the app. But the trick on
>  http://www.seaside.st/documentation/faq/deployment-and-maintenance
> to reimplement #isDeploy on the class-side of the root-component doesn't
> work - even for removing it from the dispatcher it doesn't work.
>
> In addition to that I didn't manage to work out how list all
> configuration attributes for example on a Transcript. What should I do
> to set configuration options like
>
> - 'Resource Base URL' to: '/admin/news'
> - 'Server hostname' to: 'localhost:8080'
> - 'Server Path': 8080
> - etc.
>
> during application initialization?

The parameter names are usually just camelCase versions of what is
shown in the web app (#resourceBaseUrl, #serverHostname, etc). Or take
a look at subclasses of WASystemConfiguration to find them all.

> I don't want to excuse my possible naive questions/problems, but I'm new
> to the list, seaside, squeak and pharo at all and really can't figure it
> out on my own.

No worries; questions are welcome and so are new users. And you're
bound to have a few issues with 2.9... the core is pretty stable but
there are still some rough edges.

Julian