[Seaside] Brushes and state

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 01:13:10 UTC 2009

So, with the need to update the root, I think this would work equally well
as a simple renderable object in 2.8 but it wouldn't really be be much
better than a component or brush.
With a 2.9 Painter, you can implement #updateRoot: on the
Painter subclass itself so the map object would be able to encapsulate
all of that. This does require, as you point out, that the Painter be
added to #children, of course, but I think that's better than having
to implement your own root updating behaviour and not unexpected for
the user.

Your renderContentOn: would look basically the same as your version with
either a painter or a renderable object:

MyComponent>>#renderContentOn: html
       html render: (GoogleMap new
               class: 'myMap';
               setCenter: 45.5267 @ -122.8390 zoom: 11;
               "..."
               yourself)

So I think the result is slightly better with a Painter in the sense of
implementing #children, rather then update root behaviour.

The other advantage is more theoretical and that is that a painter is not
dependent on the encapsulating component using Canvas as its renderer. I say
this is pretty theoretical because the only other renderer right now is the
RSS one. :) From an architectural point of view, though, components are able
to use any renderer they want and if they're using one that doesn't support
your brush, well they couldn't easily use your implementation.

This is all pretty subtle. Thus the debate. :)

Julian