[Seaside] Brushes and state

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Tue Jun 23 16:22:09 UTC 2009

Julian,

The #children problem is reported by Seaside in the usual manner with
no extra explanation (see attached).

The idea of passing a block to the was one that I thought of as well.
I seem to recall that the X Window System had something analogous for
initializing widgets (I can't lay my hands on any documentation,
however). On the other hand, it seems to be adding complexity in that
some things are set one way and some things another way. I'd almost
prefer everything being done in the block:

MyComponent>>#renderContentOn: html
	html render: (GoogleMap configure: [:map |
		map
			class: 'foo';
			style: 'bar';
			setCenter...;
			yourself.
	].

Of course, this has the disadvantage of forcing you to use the more
complex style for everything.

Without harping on the point too much, I'm still not feeling as
uncomfortable as it seems I should with the Brush approach. One of the
things mentioned as a characteristic of a Brush is that it can have
things embedded in it (using #'with:'). There are exceptions already,
including <br /> and <hr />, so this isn't really a firm rule. Also, a
GoogleMap makes sense only on an WAHtmlCanvas. While it can create its
own Canvas, that seems a bit of an additional complexity. I guess I'm
still seeing HorizontalRule, Button, TextInput, ListBox, and GoogleMap
as being on a continuum of simple to complex but otherwise not
substantively different in the way they are created and used. For
some, embedding other tags makes sense; for others it does not. Most
can display user-defined data and return new values. Most have events
that can trigger asynchronous callbacks. All are represented by HTML
Tags. Some share tags but are distinguished only by the class (input
button). With the GoogleMap, I could even imagine embedding other
content that would show if JavaScript were disabled in the browser.

In any case, it seems like several options are available. Maybe if new
Painters were more familiar, that approach wouldn't seem so different.
(Okay, having typed that last sentence I see that it isn't very
profound!)

James