[Seaside] Seaside without HTTP

Steve Wart steve.wart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 02:14:53 UTC 2009

Hi,

I just listened to James Robertson's interview with Julian Fitzell today and
I thought it was great.

I'd like to set up an server for an iPhone app that might have an HTTP
component for some features but for the most part it won't be web-based
(I'll probably be using Objective-C and some WebKit views with Javascript).

It seems that Seaside is the right choice but I'm wondering if anyone has
any suggestions about how I might approach the problem.

In general, I am thinking about a game server type of environment that
supports the following sorts of interactions:

* secure user authentication
* create or join an existing game (basic app logic)
* navigate around with a WebView using a Google JavaScript API
  (probably with custom controls overlayed either as divs or native iPhone
components calling Javascript from Obj-C)
* maintain a shared domain model for the connected users within a game,
distinct from other sessions that may be running
* keep track of various attributes associated with the user sessions (e.g.
current IP address, GIS coordinates)

Is this an appropriate use of Seaside or would I be better of just starting
from scratch with GemStone or Magma?

I definitely want the "brains" of my app in Smalltalk

Cheers,
Steve