[Seaside] Seaside without HTTP

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 06:36:18 UTC 2009

Hi Steve,

As long as it "makes sense" to use HTTP for what you're doing, Seaside
may be a good fit. If you're not doing HTML, some pieces will be of
less use to you but you can generate documents in any format you like
and even leverage the Session logic if desired. You're walking off the
well-trodden path, though, so you'll have to be prepared to dig in a
bit and ask questions if you can't figure out where to plug in.
Hopefully 2.9, with its clarified architecture, will help make this
clearer.

I can't say from what you posted whether Seaside is right for your use
case or not but you can always just start writing something in
Smalltalk and see if and when you want HTTP. Or as James says, you can
start writing it in  HTTP and see whether you need something else. :)

Julian