[Seaside] Seaside hosting alternatives

Davorin Rusevljan davorin.rusevljan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 20:03:33 UTC 2009

On 3/31/09, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read S3 but seems to be intended to get lots of computer for a short time.
> If you want to host a webapp 24*7 I think this is not a great solution.
> Indeed, it seems to be more expensive.

yes quickly scaling is what it does best, as far as I know. Though if
you commit to 24x7 than you can get better price for that machine. So
the setup I am aiming is 1 commited machine on ec2, and other go up
and down as needed. For one blog it is overkill, but for bigger app
might be a good thing if you need to scale (and many web aps need
that)

> I saw (as recommended)
> http://vpslink.com/compare/vpslink-hosting-plans/ and
> http://www.slicehost.com/ and for 20$ you have 10gb of hdd, 100gb of
> transmition and 256MB of RAM.

small instance of ec2 gives you 1.5 megs of ram (so 5 times as much) ,
and ram can be critical resource for seaside apps.

but this is all just theory, I have yet to see it how it performs in
real battle :)