[Seaside] Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri May 8 20:03:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM, aditya siram <aditya.siram at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Compiles a query ? what are you talking a about ? something like prepared
>> statements ?
>>

> Yes I am talking about prepared statements.

Ok. SqueakDBX/OpenDBX doesn't support this (yet). As you can see here:
http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/Future it will be in a
future (1.5).

>> Which others things you see that are not implemented ?
>>

> Nothing else so far, but prepared statements are pretty basic functionality
> that I've found in every other Sqlite3 binding I've used.  Without this
> queries are not cached and database performance takes a major hit ( to my
> knowledge ). This isn't a big deal for a singe-user app, but it might bog
> down a web app.

I am one of the SqueakDBX developer and I am interesting in trying to have
all the needed functionality. That's why I was asking.

I agree with you in your comments about prepared statements.

>> There is SqueakDBX. You can see our ann in this mailing list. We have
>> SqueakDBX working with Slqite in Linux and someone do it in Windows. Which
>> OS are you using ?
>>

> I am using Linux, but the Seaside server + app needs to completely portable
> across Windows, Linux and Mac. The reason for this is that the server needs
> to be mobile. I know this is possible because I developed a website using
> Seaside last year the server for which sits on a flash drive that can be
> plugged into and started on any Squeak-compatible computer. I know that
> Sqlite binding libraries are not be portable but there are versions
> available on all platforms.

This is the part I think I didn't understand. What are you doing ? you have
the server running in a flush driver ? You have a VM (like VMWare,
virtualbox, and so on) there ?

Please, tell me more about this. It sounds like strange but also innovator.

Cheers,

Mariano