[Seaside] Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat May 9 19:12:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Chun, Sungjin <chunsj at embian.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my application
> is portable
> through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is
> "portable/mobile" - can be
> copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)

Ok, now I wonder (yes, sorry for the offtopic) is this a solution due tue
the ugly morphic? I mean, suppose I want to do ann "nice" desktop
application with Squeak, is the best approach to do a seaside app for one
only user using a browser and localhost ???

> I choose this approach though my application is a web application for
> single user. If you're
> interested my application is at http://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/
>
> If OpenDBX is easily portable on all three major platforms, I also am
> interested in porting from
> current FFI base SQLite3 binding to OpenDBX.

Please, define portable. OpenDBX should compile with Sqlite in Linux, Mac
and Windows. I did it in Linux VERY easy, someone do it in Mac and other in
Windows. I can test to do it also in Windows. Sorry I don't have a Mac to
test it there.
No matter how easy OpenDBX compilation with Sqlite is in all platforms, the
thing is that if you want to use SqueakDBX you need OpenDBX compiled and you
also need the backend client library installed. In this case, for example,
you need to have the Sqlite client libraries (in windows, a DLL).

So, if you want to have a simple zip or a directory in a pendrive, I don't
know I this should work. I know there is a way FFI looks for the dlls in a
specific place (you can tell it which places). So perhaps you can do that
and put there the OpenDBX and the sqlite dlls. But, it was never tested
before.

My question is, how have you being doing till now? Is there a driver for
Sqlite that works in all OS for Squeak? Do you use another persistence
strategy right now?

Cheers,

Mariano