[Seaside] Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Chun, Sungjin chunsj at embian.com
Sat May 9 23:29:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

On May 10, 2009, at 4:12 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Chun, Sungjin <chunsj at embian.com>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my
> application is portable
> through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is
> "portable/mobile" - can be
> copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)
>
> Ok, now I wonder (yes, sorry for the offtopic) is this a solution
> due tue the ugly morphic? I mean, suppose I want to do ann "nice"
> desktop application with Squeak, is the best approach to do a
> seaside app for one only user using a browser and localhost ???

Yes, another reason is that squeak does not provide international or
unified input method
for Korean, Japanese or Other languages.

And at least for me, web application is much easier to build :-)

> I choose this approach though my application is a web application
> for single user. If you're
> interested my application is at http://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/
>
> If OpenDBX is easily portable on all three major platforms, I also
> am interested in porting from
> current FFI base SQLite3 binding to OpenDBX.
>
> Please, define portable. OpenDBX should compile with Sqlite in
> Linux, Mac and Windows. I did it in Linux VERY easy, someone do it
> in Mac and other in Windows. I can test to do it also in Windows.
> Sorry I don't have a Mac to test it there.
> No matter how easy OpenDBX compilation with Sqlite is in all
> platforms, the thing is that if you want to use SqueakDBX you need
> OpenDBX compiled and you also need the backend client library
> installed. In this case, for example, you need to have the Sqlite
> client libraries (in windows, a DLL).
>
> So, if you want to have a simple zip or a directory in a pendrive, I
> don't know I this should work. I know there is a way FFI looks for
> the dlls in a specific place (you can tell it which places). So
> perhaps you can do that and put there the OpenDBX and the sqlite
> dlls. But, it was never tested before.
>
> My question is, how have you being doing till now? Is there a driver
> for Sqlite that works in all OS for Squeak? Do you use another
> persistence strategy right now?

SQLite3, at least, has binary (which means already compiled) release
for all my major platforms;
windows, linux, mac os x. And squeak does support FFI on these
platforms I can use it without
problems.

OpenDBX case, yes, I know it could be easily built on POSIX or UNIX
like environments, my problem
is Windows case, I cannot find yet binary release(dll?) for OpenDBX.
SqueakDBX uses FFI(right?), so
it might not be a big problem.

> Cheers,
>
> Mariano