[Seaside] Explicit rendering of a logging component

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu May 14 10:38:31 UTC 2009

Hi,

have a look at the documentation in #call:. Sending this message
blocks the execution of the code and sends a response to the
web-server. The code only resumes when you do an answer from the
component and that you can only trigger from the client.

You need to take a different approach. First, you need to fork the
long task into a separate process as Seaside only processes on request
per session at a time. Second, updating a page from the server is not
possible without the use of Javascript on the client, HTTP does not
provide a mechanism to display something new on the client without
that the client asks for it. You can either use Javascript to
regularly poll for updates (easy), or use Comet to stream changes to
the client (tricky).

Check out the mailing list archive, there were several threads about
this in the past.

Cheers,
Lukas

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Zirbler <cj-bachinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to render a logging component to show the user what my software is
> doing while he is waiting after clicking on an html anchor. The problem is
> that I need an explicit refresh of the logging component to show the actual
> status. I looked in this forum and found "WARenderLoop new call: aComponent"
> which renders my component fine, but calling this, the code after it, is not
> longer executed. It does not run to the halt. Any comment welcome.
>
> bookingsClose
>    |file|
>    self markets do: [:market|
>        file := market createExcelFile.
>        self loggingComponent addMessage: market name , ' Excel file
> created'.
>        WARenderLoop new call: self loggingComponent. "Explicit render
> loggingComponent"
>        self halt.
>        market emailSend: file.
>        self loggingComponent addMessage: market name , ' Email sended'.
>        WARenderLoop new call: self loggingComponent. "Explicit render
> loggingComponent"
>        ...].
>
> thanks in forward
>

> --