[Seaside] rails niceties equivalents?

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Thu May 14 21:52:08 UTC 2009

> Beach is in squeaksource.com/Beach

on a general note about squeaksource...

the lack of any real description for many project makes it really hard
to use for the newbie, especially
when browsing through trying to see what exists:

take Beach:

'Where everything comes together at the seaside.'

statistical analysis:

'Perform some analysis on Smalltalk code.'

whereas sandstonedb actually tells you something:

SandstoneDb is a lightweight Prevayler style embedded object database
with an ActiveRecord API that doesn't require a command pattern and
works for small apps that a single Squeak image can handle. The idea
is to make a Squeak image durable and crash proof and suitable for use
in small office applications.

Data is kept in ram for speed and on disk for safety. All data is
reloaded from disk on image startup.

Since we're dealing with live objects in memory, concurrency is
handled via optional record level critical sections rather than
optimistic locking and commit failures. It's up to the developer to
use critical sections at the appropriate points by using the critical
method on the record.

Saves are atomic for an ActiveRecord and all its non ActiveRecord
children, for example, an order and its items. There is no atomic save
across multiple ActiveRecords. A record is a cluster of objects that
are stored in a single file together.

After installing SandstoneDb make sure to restart your image before
attempting to use it or running the tests.

Assuming you have the latest SUnit (SUnitGUI-improved from Universe),
all tests should pass.

For more information see SandstoneDb, Simple ActiveRecord Style
Persistence in Squeak

If you find this project useful, please drop me an email and let me
know.