[Seaside] rails niceties equivalents?

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Fri May 15 03:43:52 UTC 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 10:54 PM, sergio_101 wrote:

> On May 14, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Sean Allen wrote:
>
>> it would seem to be a good time for that. i was watching the
>> seaside list for 12 months before i really started a real project
>> so i had a bit of a leg up
>

> which framework were you using before?
>
> the reason i ask is..
>
> i am wondering if someone who went from rails to seaside had some
> views to share..

rails and home grown perl immediately before.

well, i'm supporting a home grown perl that i inherited, we started
down the road to replacing with rails.
rails was great, it convinced me that everything i thought about web
dev was wrong, by the time i was done,
i hated templates, orms and state. went looking for something that fit
with my new thinking and seaside
was there, i spent a long time evaluating it and other alternatives
before we decided to jump ship and move
to seaside and gemstone. that decision was made at smalltalk solutions
last year after getting to
have all my questions answered by James Foster. a few toy projects
down, some pressing now work and 11 months
later we are 6 weeks into the re-engineering with glass.

i hadn't realized until recently how badly my thinking had been warped
by web dev. how many problems like
state and orm that i was solving over and over that never should have
been problems in the first place.

you can email me off list and we can talk rails to seaside etc all you
want, unless someone here pipes up and says they
are interested in the tangent.