[Seaside] rails niceties equivalent

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Fri May 15 13:40:37 UTC 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> Sergio wrote:
> >the other app that has access is indesign... through a plugin..
>
> Well, it basically means your database is outside your boundary of
> trust.
>
> That's a lot of work. I don't think rails is up to that, and neither
> are the
> smalltalk ORM solutions. I'd be interested to be proven wrong, but I
> fear
> the performance consequences of handling this correct are too large.
> Recovering from all the problems you might encounter takes a lot of
> application and test code.
>
> Nothing you read from or write to the database can be trusted,
> Everything
> should be verified, Your table structure might change while you're
> writing
> out data, you might not be able to open new connections, the other
> application
> will overwrite your data.

Stephen is very spot on here. You need to isolate functionality in one
location.
You can do that via stored procedures ( not an option with MySQL ) or
by having
a gatekeeper. In the past when confronted with this sort of scenario,
I've advised
writing an application whose purpose is to provide an API that
interfaces other
applications with the database, then that one application is the
repository for all
business rules etc.