[Seaside] rails niceties equivalents?

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Fri May 15 20:25:23 UTC 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Eagle Offshore wrote:

> First, the point of my rather cranky reply was to point out how the
> other remark was not only not helpful, but off-putting.  This is how
> seaside community gets labelled "unfriendly" and "arrogant".
> There's a lot of nice ideas in rails.  Many are worth stealing.

sure I believe it.
I want to do CRUD like applications and not be forced to use Rails :)

> Seaside is a deep magical framework (the session state management
> magic and continuations) make it really hard to contribute anything
> at the core level unless they've studied and studied it.  We can't
> all devote that much time to mastering all that magic.

I was not talking at this level.
Lukas et al are there for that. We need layers and easing people to
build simple application

> OK, here's a couple of things I wish were solved and have take a bit
> of time to look at and keep hitting the wall on.  At some point
> fairly soon, I promise I'll take at least one of them on and try to
> do something about it if I get a little help pointing me in the
> right direction.

Great!

> I do periodically download the seaside image, and have also tried to
> get started with glass a time or two.  In the end I keep running
> into time constraints and bugs that I can't seem to get around,
> tools are in a state of flux, etc.... and I conclude its just not
> stable enough yet.  But I keep checking back.

Like what?

> The one thing that is consistently requested (and I definitely need)
> is ways to do RESTful dispatching.  The usual reply is that it is
> done in Pier and I could download Pier and look at that.  I've done
> this and browsed code for a few hours, and still come up empty about
> how to do this in generic Seaside.  I think the core maintainers
> have to do this - only they have the knowledge.

Ok this is a concrete suggestions. Lukas et al?

> In general, tracking down how URLs get built and routed in Seaside
> is HARD (at least it was in the previous versions - I haven't looked
> at the latest one).  Rails has a really GREAT convention of making
> urls a standard REST format of scheme://server/controller/action/id
> and a "routes" file for customizing this.  This is a great idea.  I
> love it.  I now miss it everywhere else I work.  It has to be easier
> to customize URL generation in seaside in a centralized way.  Maybe
> I'm too stupid for this, but every time I set out to do this, I get
> lost, deadlines loom, and I fall back on what I know will work
> (rails or django).
>
> Problem 2 - and this is huge.  No horizontal scalability pattern has
> emerged.  Rails has Mongrel and some really slick sharing via
> memcached (which actually, if I were to do something for seaside -
> adding a memcached client would be a giant win).  With all
> application state stored in memcache storage, I can update and
> bounce the rails apps at any time without hosing a single session.
> GLASS looks like it may well solve this problem - except my hosting
> providers don't provide 64 bit machines and I get lost every time I
> try to get started with GLASS because I hit some half baked tool
> problem and give up.

I see.

> OK, actually, since I agree that code talks - tell me if anyone is
> doing a memcache client, and if not, I'll try to do one and see
> about applying it to shared session storage - because state in the
> image sucks for production and reliability.  I want any image in a
> pool to be able to fail at any time and not have a single user
> notice.  Until it does this, I can't consider it for real work.

I really think that this is the way to go. There are a lot of
seasiders out there and giving a bit of time to
the community could really make Seaside and its environment much
friendlier.

sd