[Seaside] gemstone tutorial..

Pat Maddox pat.maddox at gmail.com
Fri May 15 22:46:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM, James Foster <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net> wrote:
> On May 15, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:
>
>> I had hoped to learn more about Gemstone and how to use it within
>> Seaside, since I've never used Gemstone (or anything like it) before.
>> That may have been out of the scope of what you were doing with the
>> tutorial though.  I'm wading through the Gemstone programming guide
>> now so hopefully I'll figure it out soon.
>
> In a sense, if you can port a Seaside application from Squeak to GemStone
> and have it run with minimal changes, then the complexity and sophistication
> of GemStone has been effectively masked. On the other hand, there are some
> things like indexes that are new and  need explanation. Nothing is really
> "out of scope," so much as out of time. I figured I'd make what I have
> available and see what feedback comes.
>
> What would you like to know about GemStone? What should the next chapter
> include?

The big question I had at the end was, "so are my objects being saved
in gemstone now?"  As far as I know, gemstone persists global objects,
so the list of events stored in LBEvents class ought to be
persisted...I think.  As someone coming from a completely different
environment (Rails), and VERY excited/interested in gemstone, it was
hard to believe that I deployed it on gemstone and got all the magic
that goes along with it.

In addition to answering that question, I'd like to see two things in
the next chapter.  The first is running multiple images off the same
gemstone data store.  If gemstone provides distributed object
persistence, I want to see it in action!  The second is gemstone
usage, such as sessions and indexes.  Now that I've got my app running
on gemstone, I want to understand how to make best use of the
platform.

How does that sound?

Pat