[Seaside] gemstone tutorial..

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Fri May 15 23:42:47 UTC 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM, James Foster
> <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net> wrote:
>> What would you like to know about GemStone? What should the next
>> chapter
>> include?
>
> The big question I had at the end was, "so are my objects being saved
> in gemstone now?"  As far as I know, gemstone persists global objects,
> so the list of events stored in LBEvents class ought to be
> persisted...I think.

Yes, that is all there is to it. Transparent persistence with GLASS!

> As someone coming from a completely different
> environment (Rails), and VERY excited/interested in gemstone, it was
> hard to believe that I deployed it on gemstone and got all the magic
> that goes along with it.

I actually have had similar reactions from others. One long-time
Smalltalker at a recent workshop finished the exercises and then just
asked in passing, "So when do we get to persistence?" When I
reiterated that objects saved in a class instance variable are
persistent he finally got it. There isn't any mapping of objects to
the database; they just are persistent.

> In addition to answering that question, I'd like to see two things in
> the next chapter.  The first is running multiple images off the same
> gemstone data store.  If gemstone provides distributed object
> persistence, I want to see it in action!  The second is gemstone
> usage, such as sessions and indexes.  Now that I've got my app running
> on gemstone, I want to understand how to make best use of the
> platform.
>
> How does that sound?

Those are good topics. I'll work on that. What platform/configuration
are you using? Are you running GemStone in the VMware virtual
appliance or native on Linux/Mac? If you are running in VMware, then
the default configuration includes three VMs providing FastCGI with
Apache doing round-robin load balancing. Each request goes to a
different VM, so the persistence is demonstrated.

James