[Seaside] rails niceties equivalents?

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Sun May 17 16:12:03 UTC 2009

> Well it is a lot of work doing it and then maintaining it.

That's why you should feel appealed to encourage others to do it.

> > think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
> > full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
> > people.
>
> Right, but there are at least two problems:
> 1. It has to be driven by a one or several application development
> projects, otherwise nothing good will emerge from it. I seriously
> question this will ever happen.

That's not a reason to disencourage others to do it in an add on or something. Maintain your questining but also let it be. That's different of actively disencourage and scare people that is curious about running a business on the technology your are involved on. Please don't do activities that make our community less rich. Why don't do things to get them more rich?

> 2. Database access, there's no portable way of doing it. So either we
> write our own database abstraction layer (yay) or we accept that
> database access again is not part of it (I can see people being
> totally happy with that) and that each and every tutorial will do
> database access in a different way (yay again).

Here I agree. Seaside does not need to compromise itself with persistence. Mostly because smalltalk use to have more technologically diverse persistence options than other technologies. In this case is clear that less is more.
cheers,
sebastian