[Seaside] Application context

Pat Maddox pat.maddox at gmail.com
Sun May 17 22:23:21 UTC 2009

Hey James,

Thanks for the reply.  Comments inline

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 2:32 PM, James Foster <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net> wrote:
> Hi Pat,
>
> As I understand it you want application data to be separated based on entry
> points, but otherwise share the same environment (e.g., deployment image).

Well my real goal is to have a single place where I wire up my app's
major dependencies - repositories, connections to external services,
etc.  This is partly so I can do multiple installs, but mostly for
ease of use.

> If you will have a small number of pre-defined entry points, then you could
> have separate components for each entry point and subclass from a common
> ancestor so that they share behavior. With this approach you could define a
> 'class instance variable' in the abstract superclass and then each subclass
> would have its own data.

This makes sense to me but I'm not sure how to make it work.  If I
have a class instance variable, then each subclass gets its own
version of that variable.  The whole point of this is to share one
object throughout all components in an application.

> Alternatively, you could use the entry point as a key in a Dictionary
> containing various different application data sets. You can get the entry
> point from 'self session baseUrl printString' or 'self session baseUrl path
> last'. With this approach you can keep your class variable, but make it a
> Dictionary and do similar lazy initialization of the Dictionary and of the
> contents (using #'at:ifAbsentPut:').

I still need to know where to put this Dictionary though.  I take it
that a class variable in my WAComponent subclass is not such a bad
idea after all?

> Also, depending on your deployment strategy, you could use multiple
> Smalltalk images. This "horizontal scaling" is a simplification of the
> approach taken by DabbleDB and allows hundreds of thousands of applications
> with the same code but different data and uses multiple machines
> efficiently.

Yes I certainly need to figure out how I want to deploy this stuff.
That kind of strategy would work really well for this particular app.
But I'm also interested in "out of the box" (and cool! (and pricey ;))
behavior with gemstone.

Pat