[Seaside] rails niceties equivalents?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Mon May 18 08:36:54 UTC 2009

Hi!

Julian Fitzell wrote:
> what they wanted a request handler for the former to look like. And I
> think being able to easily develop stateless rails-style apps with
> full REST URLs but using the Canvas API would be a huge win for many
> people.

Both I and Giovanni Corriga started messing with putting the Seaside
Canvas into HttpView2, using two different approaches - Giovanni made a
new one and I tried "duck raping" :) the one in Seaside (actually seemed
quite doable).

One thing that I do think is quite nice in HttpView2 is the idea of
mapping "directory names" into messages and letting the view objects
form a parent-child tree on the server. To be concrete:

/account/settings

Will send #account to the top view object, which typically checks
authentication (so all URLs beginning with "/account" will do that check
in one place) and then handles dispatch over to an AccountView sending
#settings to it. The AccountView typically implements #settings by
handing it over to a SettingsView sending #default to it (kinda like
index.html).

Well, just wanted to mention how HV2 works in this respect as some "fuel
on the fire" - most people probably doesn't know. :)

> How best to support semi-RESTful URLs while still maintaining full
> session state and the ability to write complex control flows is still
> a matter of much debate and a prime area for further research and
> experimentation. But that doesn't mean someone can't move to support
> the two separately in the meantime.

Indeed.

regards, Göran