[Seaside] getting a single value through jQuery

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:31:57 UTC 2009

2009/10/6 Richard Durr <richard.durr at googlemail.com>:
> Hello,
> I'd like to set the background-color of a parent element that contains a
> selectbox using ajax without replacing the whole. I tried to load the value
> through "ajax html:" like so:
> html select
>   onChange: (html jQuery ajax serialize: html jQuery this) ,
>     ((html jQuery this parent: '.model' ) cssAt: 'background-color' put:
> (html jQuery ajax html: [:r | r text: 'red' ]));
>   callback: [ :value | aModelObject color: value key. ];
>   selected: selectedColor;
>   addAll: colors;
>   labels: [:item | item value.].

The use of

   html jQuery this parent: '.model'

is a bit strange, because this only returns the *direct* parents that
have the class .model. You might easily end up with an empty result
set and simply nothing happens. It might not be a problem in your
case, but it would be more intention revealing if you used #closest:
instead of #parent:

The expression

   html jQuery ajax html: [:r | r text: 'red' ]

does not return the requested value, but the AJAX object itself.
Furthermore AJAX calls are asynchronous, so they immediately return.

Something along the following lines should work:

   (html jQuery this closest: '.model') cssAt: 'background-color' put: 'red'

If you want to go through a server round-trip you could integrate the
change into the AJAX call you do to serialize the value. What about
something along ...

   html jQuery ajax
        serialize: html jQuery this;
        script: [ :script | script add: ((script jQuery: '.model')
cssAt: 'background-color' put: currentColor) ]

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli