[Seaside] clamato - Wrong approach - "unholy mixture"

Frank Berger frank.berger.software at web.de
Mon Sep 7 15:10:29 UTC 2009

Well, Avi,

after reading what is available about Clamato, I am sure that this is not a good approach!

I am expecting an "unholy mixture" of separate and little or not integrated worlds. Instead, it could have been a great "tasty treat", to use your words, if you had simply followed the ST2JS concept, which presumably would also have been less work.

In ST2JS I see these advantages, which as far as one can judge by now are also the disadvantages of Clamato:
- full integration into existing Smalltalk environment
- full integration of all existing application, versioning, configuration classes etc of potential users
- full use of all the wonderful Smalltalk tools - compared to this stoneage rubbish that JS offers
- code administration in Smalltalk
- one could and should have integrated Joose, which was developed by a German Smalltalker, see http://code.google.com/p/joose-js/
- Joose even has a class browser already: http://it.test.avantaxx.de/xssinterface/projects/Joose/examples/class_browser.html

Very sad that you have decideed to go your own and very separate way. I doubt that you can compensate these advantages of ST2JS, which was just never really made a working tool. And, pardon, coding in a browser is just an absurd idea!

Regards