[Seaside] Legacy system and Seaside

Thierry Thelliez thierry.thelliez.tech at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:34:00 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am trying to port an older system to Seaside. The code is in
Smalltalk and it uses explicit HTTP POST and GET variables.

Is there a way in Seaside to receive a variable in the url (ie
http://abc/xyz?var1=123) and of course extract it within the Smalltalk
code.

Searching this forum, the closest I found was the following in 2007,
but I cannot figure out how to make this work.

2007/10/16, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com>:

> I'm replacing a badly-written (that is, not *mine*) Perl application with a
> seaside application.  Let's say I've installed my application at
> /seaside/booking.  How do I intercept, say,
> /seaside/booking?legacy=app&does=this and turn that into an initial
> hit into my app with a couple of instance vars set, so that
> all the remaining /seaside/booking?_s=...&_c=... still work?

Implement #initialRequest (don't forget to send super). WABrowser has
an example. If you want the parameters (legacy and does) to stay
you'll also have to implement #updateUrl:

Cheers
Philippe