[Seaside] Seaside for large, high-traffic sites.

Davorin Rusevljan davorin.rusevljan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 10:59:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Joseph Harrison <
stoicdeveloper at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have some questions about Seaside scalability.
>
> I understand Smalltalks (especially Squeak) use green threads for
> concurrency,
> so obviously a single VM process handling all of those HTTP connections
> would
> not work. Rather, the solution seems to be some sort of parallel setup with
> many
> VM processes running simultaneously, each using green threads as needed,
> with
> some load balancer in front of them. Do they share the same image (in which
> case, I am guessing they can't save the image), or must each have its own?
> Next,
> persistence: I need a robust alternative. It need not be a pure object
> database,
> just something with decent performance that can scale; a mature Squeak
> interface
> to an RDBMS like PostgreSQL would suffice. Additionally, I am curious about
> 64-bit Squeak and if it can work with Seaside.

Ramon has interesting post about scaling Seaside/squeak:
http://onsmalltalk.com/scaling-seaside-more-advanced-load-balancing-and-publishing
.

I have also been experimenting with Nginx as load balancer and static files
web server, all on the Amazon ec2 instances, but there is nothing in real
production as of yet.

As for database Gemstone is natural choice, as log as it can fit in your
budget. If not, maybe something very lightweight ansd simple like CouchDB
can fit the bill.

Am I setting myself up for a lot of pain, or is it really practical to use
> these
> tools with large websites? If Squeak + Seaside isn't enough, how hard is it
> drop down into C for extra performance or to call out to foreign code?
>
> Well, I guess there will be some pain and experimenting involved, since it
is obviously not something that has been done on huge number of sites.
Nevertheless, I think Seaside is viable option for high activity sites.

rush
http://www.cloud208.com/