[Seaside] WAVNCController example...

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Sep 12 12:32:33 UTC 2009

Not surprising since I didn't understand what I was asking either! :-/

Thanks for that explanation. I can see that it isn't doing quite what I
thought, though being able to evoke VNC via a webpage is obviously
useful in many situations.

In my case, what I'm hoping to do is use seaside as a localhost server
that will interact with the Second Life media plugins and serve
VNC-like services for specific applications (e.g. drawing tool) based on
which URL is evoked within Second Life. I misunderstood what
WAVNCController was doing (somehow I thought it made a specific
WAComponent interact with the VNC server, rather than the whole of Pharo).

The plan is to provide whiteboard services via Squeak to Second Life
(ala Croquet's capability) but only with specific individuals while the
rest of the Second Life audience merely observes a live stream (QT movie
or whatever) of the output of the whiteboard.  This should scale far
better than pure VNC does, assuming I can figure out how to serve the
VNC visual data to a generic media server.

There's lots of potential here, if only I knew what I was doing (or
understood what I was reading).,.

Lawson