[Seaside] Seaside 2.9 WARenderloop Replacement

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 07:51:53 UTC 2009

Hi Karsten,

I'm trying to remember the details of this. I think that we discovered
that creating a new RenderLoop was only working because of a
coincidence caused by the way we were using exceptions and full
continuations. When we switched to partial continuations, which gave
us a more accurate model of what was actually happening, that
functionality stopped working.

I believe (but don't have an image with me to check), that we decided
the same thing could be more simply accomplished by simply doing a
call or show from the root component (which is now stored in a
property on Session by the render loop). I kind of think we added a
method to Session to easily support this but it's all a bit fuzzy. Let
me know if you can't find it and I'll check again when i'm back on my
own computer.

It could still be made possible to "start a new renderloop" but I
think a new exception would need to be created and you would have to
define what the semantics are of that. Does #initialRequest: get
called again, for example? The WARenderLoop class itself was removed
because it didn't represent a loop and didn't really do anything. The
"loop" is simply the Action continuation and Render continuation
calling each other. You can start a new loop by creating a new
continuation of whichever type and running it, but that's where i
think a new exception is needed because I think you need (this is
where I can't quite remember the details anymore) to drop back out of
the callback code before going to the new continuation.

Let me know if you need more help here and I'll take a look next week.

Julian