[Seaside] Re: Deploying a big Squeak/Pharo Seaside application

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 02:57:26 UTC 2009

2009/9/19 Gerardo Richarte <gera at corest.com>:
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> After ESUG talks I was imagining a way to deploy big seaside
>> applications. Something like this architecture:
>>
>> SqueakNOS
>> SqueakVM
>> Image: The KernelImage that Pavel did. For Pharo it is something like
>> 3MB I think. If you add morphic you can then use the VNC and I think
>> it is 5MB. Then we should load there seaside, the dependencies and all
>> of our code.
> Heh, I love the idea, but saddly, I have to say, that if it's for
> performance, this would not be my chosen option... not at all :(
>
> Squeak: slow interpreted VM, at least until something better sees the light.
> VMWare: adds an extra layer of resource management to the OS, inevitably
> slows things down
> SqueakNOS: Not the fastest OS you'll see out there, even if we had a fast VM
>
> In any case, a better scenario would be just using SqueakNOS, no OS, no
> VMWare, and serve multiple apps from the same seaside, however,
> SqueakNOS is not ready for this, at all today, for it lacks support for
> most network cards and hard disks, to start with.
>
> For fast Seaside hosting I would recomend either VisualWorks or, of
> course, Gemsstone/GLASS. You can find performance graphs for GLASS in
> Dale's blog, and although I have not seen any VisualWorks graphs I guess
> that's going to be good too. And probably the same goes for
> VisualSmalltalk, although there is no supported Seaside for Visual
> Smalltalk :)
>
> Again, I still like a lot the idea, and hopefully in the future we can
> come back to it and make it real, but today, I'm totally sorry to be me
> who has to say that SqueakNOS is not an option :(

Gera, no need for excuses. :) SqueakNOS is a great thing by itself, showing how
it easy to control the hardware using high level language (instead of
assembly), and its not some kind of black voodoo except if you don't
have any documentation.

P.S. I remember the QNX floppy demo disks, which is a bootable
diskette containing
the OS + net & graphics drivers + browser. So, basically you can boot
PC with it and it detects your network card (if you're lucky
and got right vendor), and then you can go & browse the internet.
All of it fits into 1.44 Mb diskette.
So, i don't think that making networking or IDE i/o is hard thing.
Just give it a time.

>    richie

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.