[Seaside] Re: iCal to Drupal requires Content-Encoding: gzip

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 19:07:10 UTC 2009

2009/9/22, bobn at rogers.com <bobn at rogers.com>:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
>>Philippe...
>>It is unlikely that Drupal needs the content as gzip.
>>Have you compared the actual data? Does the format and encoding match?
> Yup.  From what we can see the Google and our iCal files are the same
> format.
> I even added things like timezone headers (copied from Google), which are
> optional in the iCal spec.
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt
>
>>Do you use CR LR and not just LF or CR?
> Both contain CR after the file is saved.

Bad, bad, BAD. The spec says CRLF.

>>Are you sure content-length matches the lenght of your content?
> Yes.  Content-Length: 10944
> 'C:\Documents and Settings\bnemec\My Documents\events.ics' asFilename
> contentsOfEntireFile size = 10944
>
>>Have you tried returning the same thing as Google just without gzip (and a
>> correct content-lenght).
> That's the only way I'm able to make it work at all, as a non-zipped file.

Good. Then there's likely a problem with your iCal. Happy debugging.

> Answering a gzip file is just not working yet ... I'd like to understand how
> to do that, even though it's not the likely cause of this problem.

If you send gzip, then you need to indicate that using the
Content-Encoding header. How else would the user agent know it's gzip.

>> Have you tried dropping the content-disposition header?
> Working on that one... as suggested by Boris.
>
>>Boris...
>>Aren't you sending it as an attachment and google simply serving it in the
>> contents?
>>I see the following header in your response, but not in Google's?
>>I agree with Philippe, it's very unlikely that gzipping is your problem.
> I see.  The browser responds to both the Google feed and our own by asking
> if you want to save or open the file, so I assumed that just answering the
> iCal data in HTML would not suffice.  I tried using just 'html html: self
> iCalData', which the browser displayed in place (vs. an open or download
> option). It also did not work with Drupal.
>
> Is there another way to answer the iCal contents without the
> 'Content-Dispostion'?
> What other tool can I use to view the raw data feed from the Google iCal
> URL?
>
> Also, I'm not sure how robust the Drupal code is, which is why we tried the
> gzip download.

If you think the code is not super robust then adding gzip to the mix
is likely going to make the problem worse.

Cheers
Philippe