[Seaside] Session expiration question

Davorin Rusevljan davorin.rusevljan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 18:21:53 UTC 2009

Bill,

I am preparing to write an app with a very long form, and I am concerned
about the same problem. My current plan is to use ajax to send an update for
each field entered (and store it in db). This does increase load on the
server, but as long as each field is not long, it keeps amount of work that
can be lost reasonably small.

But if you have large text fields where user is supposed to enter several
pareagraphs then maybe something like gmail which autosaves message text
after some time passes might be the way.

Lastly maybe you could deal with expiry problem by acting before it happens.
Something like innactivity timer in browser which jumps to special
"inactivity page", which displays password reentry dialog, and until user
enters pass it sends in backgropund ajax session keep alive packets. When
user submits the password, you transfer control back to the calling page. If
he closes window, session eventually expires.

rush
http://www.cloud208.com/