[Seaside] CSS style not applied until reload

John McKeon p3anoman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 23:36:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Nevin Pratt <nevin at bountifulbaby.com>wrote:

>  I hope there's another solution, other than external style sheets, because
>> as I peruse my 44 #style methods in my package, I rediscover that I need to
>> dynamically calculate some widths and heights, so in some cases I need to
>> implement styles based on individual instances.
>>
>> Do people ever combine external style sheets and #style methods?
>>

> I realize the down-side of not having external style sheets, but having
> *everything* in the Smalltalk environment sure is a hard-to-resist and very
> sweet siren song of convenience.  Putting everything in the image gives you
> refactoring ability, plus a whole bunch more.
>
> But it also means having *no* external style sheets-- instead leaving you
> with having *all* of your style info inside the Smalltalk image.
>
> And, it's a siren song I find myself succumbing to more and more.  So, yes,
> some people do in fact combine external style sheets and #style methods. :-)
>
> And, yes, doing so does have a down-side.

But really, a few lines in a WAFileLibrary method isn't truly an "external"
style sheet and not much of a down side is it? Does it use that much server
resources? Won't the client agent cache the bits? Seems a lot less
cumbersome than all that Apache stuff.

Still the calculated measurements might require a kludge. Perhaps a
calculated class would do the trick if the calculation results in a discrete
and small number of outcomes.

John

http://jmck.seasidehosting.st